Adenocarcinoma of the Pancreas : The Clinical Experience of 45 Histopathologically Proven Patients, a 6 Year Study

0
Rate this post

Adenocarcinoma of the Pancreas : The Clinical Experience of 45 Histopathologically Proven Patients, a 6 Year Study

Pinit Kullavanijaya, M.B., Ch.B. (Leeds), M.R.C.P. (UK)*,    

Sombat Treeprasertsuk, M.D., M.Sc., F.R.C.P. (T)**,

Duangporn Thong-ngam, M.D., M.Sc., F.R.C.P. (T)***,       

Nusont Kladcharoen, M.D., M.R.C.P. (UK)*,

Varocha Mahachai, M.D.*,        

Pongsepeera Suwanagool, M.D.****

Abstract

                A retrospective study of 45 cases of adenocarcinoma of the pancreas at Chulalongkorn University Hospital from 1993 to 1998 was reviewed by clinical and histopathological criteria. Male and female ratio was 25:20. The mean age of the patients was 59.5 + 10.0 years. The common presenting symptoms and signs were epigastric discomfort (80.0%), weight loss (60.0%) and jaundice (51.1%). Twenty four patients (53.3%) were screened for a tumor marker (CA 19-9) and 87.5 per cent of these had high level of CA 19-9 (> 37 IU/ml). Thirty five patients (77.8%) had tumors located in the head of the pancreas. Most of the cases were investigated by using radiological imaging (ultrasonography or computerized tomography of the abdomen). Thirty five histopathological data (77.8%) were made by the operation, and the rest (22.2%) were performed by a fine needle aspiration from the pancreatic mass or liver metastasis. Whipple operation and the bypass procedure were the most common surgical procedures in our studies. Twenty five patients (55.6%) had post treatment complications from all modalities consisting of gastrointestinal bleeding, respiratory failure and infection. However, the mortality rate within 30 days postoperatively was 8.11 per cent which was due to blood loss during the operation and infections. The post treatment mortality rate from all modalities was 33.3 per cent. The average duration from the diagnosis until death was 82.3 days.

Key word : Adenocarcinoma, Pancreas, Clinical, Histopathological

Kullavanijaya P, Treeprasertsuk S, Thong-ngam D,            

Kladcharoen N, Mahachai V, Suwanagool P

J Med Assoc Thai 2001; 84: 640-647

 *             Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University,

 **            Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400,

 ***          Department of Physiology,

****         Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand.

มะเร็งตับอ่อนชนิดอะดีโนคาร์ซิโนมา : ประสบการณ์จากผู้ป่วย 45 ราย ในช่วงเวลา 6 ปี ของโรงพยาบาลจุฬาลงกรณ์

พินิจ กุลละวณิชย์, พ.บ.*, สมบัติ ตรีประเสริฐสุข, พ.บ., ว.ว. (อายุรศาสตร์)**,

ดวงพร ทองงาม, พ.บ., ว.ว. (อายุรศาสตร์)***, นุสนธิ์ กลัดเจริญ, พ.บ.*,

วโรชา มหาชัย, พ.บ.*, พงษ์พีระ สุวรรณกูล, พ.บ.****

                การศึกษาย้อนหลังในผู้ป่วยที่มารับการรักษาและวินิจฉัยว่าเป็นมะเร็งตับอ่อนชนิดอะดีโนคาร์ซิโนมา จากผลตรวจทางพยาธิวิทยา จำนวน 45 ราย ตั้งแต่ มกราคม พ.ศ. 2536 ถึง ธันวาคม พ.ศ. 2541 พบว่าเป็นเพศชาย ต่อ เพศหญิง เท่ากับ 25 : 20 ส่วนใหญ่มีอายุอยู่ระหว่าง 59.5 ปี + 10.0 (33-81 ปี) อาการและอาการแสดงที่พบได้บ่อยที่สุด 3 ลำดับ คือ อาการอืดแน่นไม่สบายในท้อง (ร้อยละ 80.0) อาการน้ำหนักลด (ร้อยละ 60.0) เฉลี่ย 2.7 กิโลกรัม/เดือน หรือน้ำหนักลดเฉลี่ย 6.6 + 4.7 กิโลกรัม/คน อาการตัว ตาเหลือง (ร้อยละ 51.1) มะเร็งตับอ่อนที่พบส่วนใหญ่มักมาในระยะที่เริ่มมีการกระจายไปอวัยวะใกล้เคียงแล้ว ร้อยละ 91.2 และมีผู้ป่วย 4 ราย (ร้อยละ 8.8) ที่พบว่าอยู่ในระยะแรก ซึ่งสามารถผ่าตัดมะเร็งออกได้ทั้งหมด การตรวจเลือดหา CA 19-9 พบความผิดปกติถึงร้อยละ 87.5 มะเร็งส่วนใหญ่อยู่ในตำแหน่งส่วนหัวของตับอ่อน (ร้อยละ 77.8) การรักษาส่วนใหญ่ คือ การผ่าตัด โดยวิธี Whipple และการตัดต่อทางเดินน้ำดี ให้หายจากการอุดตันได้ (ร้อยละ 28.9 และ 13.3 ตามลำดับ) ภาวะแทรกซ้อนที่พบหลังการรักษาทั้งหมด พบถึงร้อยละ 55.6 โดยส่วนใหญ่เป็นภาวะแทรกซ้อนที่เกี่ยวกับภาวะเลือดออกในทางเดินอาหารส่วนต้น, ภาวะหายใจล้มเหลวและการติดเชื้อ อัตราตายที่เกิดหลังการผ่าตัดภายใน 30 วันแรก พบได้ ร้อยละ 8.1 และอัตราการตายหลังการวินิจฉัยแล้วมีร้อยละ 33.3 (15 ราย) โดยสาเหตุส่วนใหญ่เป็นจากภาวะติดเชื้อในกระแสเลือด, ภาวะหายใจล้มเหลว และความผิดปกติของระดับน้ำตาลและเกลือแร่ในร่างกาย ระยะเวลาที่นับจากการวินิจฉัยจนถึงเสียชีวิตเฉลี่ย 82.3 วัน

คำสำคัญ : มะเร็งตับอ่อน, อะดีโนคาร์ซิโนมา, พยาธิวิทยา, อาการทางคลินิก

พินิจ กุลละวณิชย์, สมบัติ ตรีประเสริฐสุข, ดวงพร ทองงาม,

นุสนธิ์ กลัดเจริญ, วโรชา มหาชัย, พงษ์พีระ สุวรรณกูล

จดหมายเหตุทางแพทย์ ฯ 2544; 84: 640-647

 *             สาขาวิชาโรคทางเดินอาหาร, ภาควิชาอายุรศาสตร์, คณะแพทยศาสตร์ จุฬาลงกรณ์มหาวิทยาลัย,

 **            สาขาวิชาโรคทางเดินอาหาร, ภาควิชาอายุรศาสตร์เขตร้อน, คณะเวชศาสตร์เขตร้อน มหาวิทยาลัยมหิดล, กรุงเทพ ฯ 10400

 ***          ภาควิชาพยาธิวิทยา,

****         ภาควิชาสรีรวิทยา, คณะแพทยศาสตร์ จุฬาลงกรณ์มหาวิทยาลัย, กรุงเทพฯ 10330